The Facts - Cancer Free!

Diagnosis: One quarter-size malignant tumor
Location: Lower lobe of left lung
Treatment: Surgery & Chemotherapy - Successful!
Prognosis: Excellent
Chance of Recurrence: Small
In case you haven't heard, Rhonda has been declared cancer free by her oncologist!!!

Thank you to all the friends and family who have expressed their concern, support, and encouragement. Praise the Lord that Rhonda's tumor was found early. The process of diagnosis and planning treatment went quickly in March, and recovery from surgery progressed smoothly across April. The four months of chemotherapy ended in mid-September. Now, on to recovery from the chemo. The doctor says it may take up to six months for Rhonda to regain her physical strength, so please keep praying!

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Doctor's Visit

Last Monday I had my CT scans done and then saw the doctor 2 days ago. When I went to do the scans they drew blood first and said they wouldn't be able to use the contrast like the doctor ordered. Something in my blood work indicated my kidneys weren't filtering as efficiently as they should be and the iodine contrast would make that worse. It's always something!

When I saw the oncologist Monday she was upbeat and said things looked good, but the scans weren't as definitive as she would like because of the lack of contrast. As a result, I'm going to have a PET scan done in a month and then see her again. I have to keep my portal cath until then so that was a disappointment, but better safe than sorry. She told me "the recovery period is just starting" so I guess she thought I needed that reminder. They drew blood to check on my kidneys and other things, but I haven't received those results. She did tell me my white count was good and my red count was so-so. I'm still a little anemic and could have had another blood transfusion. Instead she gave me a shot to stimulate my red blood cell production. Hopefully the shortness of breath and lack of energy will start to subside.

David and I are leaving in the morning to spend 3 nights in South Padre. I'm looking forward to getting away but not looking forward to the drive. Brian and Lynnette Martin are going with us, so the marble board is going as well! We bought my fishing license last night and I couldn't believe what it costs to just be ready to fish. I guess I'll have to really wet a hook considering what I paid for the thing. Of course David bought his hunting/fishing combo license at the same time, so that's probably the real reason for the sticker shock. I'll post a picture of all my fish I catch while I'm there - I'm sure there will be lots of them!

By the way, I want to apologize in advance to Katie for the hat I bought to wear. It's one of those ugly ones with the flap that hangs down in the back to cover your neck. Combined with my bald head it's a true fashion statement. We've always given David a hard time when he wore his, and now I've gone over to the Dark Side. Sorry! I'll try to not be in any pictures while wearing it.

Katie is heading to Denver on Saturday for the American Dietetic Assoc. national conference. It's been snowing in Denver! What a nice change that will be from heat, humidity and mosquitoes.

Have a great week!
Rhonda

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy Padre! Wish I was going to. Hopefully the weather will be awesome for you. Have a great time and eat a lot for me!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave an encouraging comment for Rhonda. Thanks for your support!