The Facts - Cancer Free!

Diagnosis: One quarter-size malignant tumor
Location: Lower lobe of left lung
Treatment: Surgery & Chemotherapy - Successful!
Prognosis: Excellent
Chance of Recurrence: Small
In case you haven't heard, Rhonda has been declared cancer free by her oncologist!!!

Thank you to all the friends and family who have expressed their concern, support, and encouragement. Praise the Lord that Rhonda's tumor was found early. The process of diagnosis and planning treatment went quickly in March, and recovery from surgery progressed smoothly across April. The four months of chemotherapy ended in mid-September. Now, on to recovery from the chemo. The doctor says it may take up to six months for Rhonda to regain her physical strength, so please keep praying!

Monday, August 24, 2009

Three to Go!

My white count was back up today so I was able to have a treatment. Only three left!!! They cut back the dosage by 20% on the chemical that has been causing my white cells to drop, so hopefully we'll make it through the next 3 weeks without skipping a treatment. Pray, pray, pray! I also hope some of my side effects diminish, but that might be wishful thinking on my part.

At this very moment Katie is living in her apartment in Houson and Kevin is living in his apartment in College Station. All that's left to move is Katie's large arm chair and desk and CAT. She has orientation beginning tomorrow so I'm not sure when we'll make the final move. Including the cat. Don't get me wrong, the cat and I have a working relationship. The problem is that the smell of the cat food has not agreed with my stomach since I began chemo. For some reason she doesn't grasp that concept and continues to wake ME up at 6 am, looking for food. She's a siamese so her methods are rather vocal. Fortunately, it's only a short jabbing distance for me to wake up David to feed the cat. :)

I missed the first day of school today for the first time in my entire life. I sat in my reclining chair with my IV pole and watched the clock off and on. I noticed when it was lunch time and at 2:30 I thought about the fact that everyone had only one more hour to make it. I thought about how tired and achy everyone's feet and legs would be and how their voices would be strained from talking so much after a summer of rest. I actually missed it. Well, I missed being a part of the group misery and being able to sympathize in person with everyone I would have passed in the hall. Twisted, huh?!? I also have to confess that my heart had a little pang when I realized that the ceiling of LJI didn't cave in because I wasn't there and that school really could start without me. It was a little pang though, and I think I'm over it.

I'll try to be better about blogging, but sometimes there's just nothing good to say. You know that saying "If you can't say something good, don't say anything"? I'm sure it applies to blogging as well! Last week wasn't too great and stretched out pretty long with just me and the CAT at home. Yes, feeding times were tough but I practiced increasing my lung capacity by holding my breath as long as I could. We both benefited that way. Sort of.

Thanks again for all the prayers and the cards. They really are appreciated.

Love to all,
Rhonda

3 comments:

  1. Rhonda,
    You are amazing, the way you can still write with such joy and humor. I know things are going to turn out great and you are always in my prayers. By the way, Liz left me with two cats. Luckily I am not bothered by the food smell, but the litter box...well that is another story.
    Love,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are missed at LJI that is for sure!!!! Anxious for you to return. Misery loves company, right????? ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. We miss you at LJI. I am so sorry you have missed the infestation of small roaches every where in the building. They are even falling from the vents in the ceiling. It almost crashed in. I don't know why they have suddenly appeared. I am told Rasco has the same problem. Donnie and I have started some of our own Urban Legends as to the cause. #1 They were brought into the schools with the changing of the a/c vents. #2 The digging up of the sewer along Hwy 332. #3 They finally made it over from the old school building.

    We love you,
    Danny

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave an encouraging comment for Rhonda. Thanks for your support!