The Facts - Cancer Free!

Diagnosis: One quarter-size malignant tumor
Location: Lower lobe of left lung
Treatment: Surgery & Chemotherapy - Successful!
Prognosis: Excellent
Chance of Recurrence: Small
In case you haven't heard, Rhonda has been declared cancer free by her oncologist!!!

Thank you to all the friends and family who have expressed their concern, support, and encouragement. Praise the Lord that Rhonda's tumor was found early. The process of diagnosis and planning treatment went quickly in March, and recovery from surgery progressed smoothly across April. The four months of chemotherapy ended in mid-September. Now, on to recovery from the chemo. The doctor says it may take up to six months for Rhonda to regain her physical strength, so please keep praying!

Monday, March 30, 2009

From Rhonda

Monday, March 30th

Things are definitely busier around here during the week than on the weekend. I think I like weekends better. People have been coming and going all morning and I'm just sitting in the chair letting them wash past me. I'm sure they have important jobs, but the drugs say I don't have to listen!

I did listen when the pulmonologist said he still doesn't have the biopsy report about the lymph nodes and that I would probably go home with oxygen. I'll have to give up smoking in bed, darn it. He also said my lungs were "boringly clear". (David, one of the editors, says, I have to tell you I am truly a nonsmoker.)

The surgical nurse said there was still too much drainage in the chest tubes to remove them today. That means I'll be here at least until Wednesday. We are going to try giving up the IV pain meds and go to just oral pills. That will allow me to get rid of the central line in my neck and improve my looks tremendously. :)

Rhonda's #6:
6. The number of times you have to get up and go to the bathroom (actually have someone GET you up) is related proportionally to the amount of pain it causes you. I am CERTAIN there is a TAKS math problem in there, but I'm too fuzzy headed to figure it out. Someone get on that, would you? Oh yeah, you're all teaching....

7. The little blow-up white thingies they put on your legs to keep them from forming clots look like Peeps do when you put them in the microwave. My children will know exactly what I mean!

David has pushed the instrument of torture at me that is known as a "spirometer" so I have to go. It's obvious he's going over to the dark side and joined the mean people conspiracy. Besides that lunch has arrived. Oh boy, oh boy.

Love, Rhonda