I was walking the hall at 3:45 am, looking for excitement. Didn't find any, but I was lapped twice by 2 nurses using their break time to walk for exercise. I thought a leisurely stroll was more appropriate so I could take in the scenery. At least half the rooms on the floor are empty today since a lot of lucky schmucks got to go home yesterday.
Yesterday was a long, frustrating day. They took care of my surgery early in the morning and I was back in my room by noon. I thought I had given the respiratory therapist the slip by going downstairs so early, but they had found me again by 2 pm and had me huffing and puffing on the treatment machine. For some reason, which no one has been able to explain to me, they slapped a heart monitor on me after my surgery. I haven't had one since the very first day so it irritates me to have another "contraption" hooked up and dragging behind me. Remember in those old westerns where the panhandler had a mule with all the "goods" hanging off of it? I'm beginning to resemble that mule and that's probably an insult in the mule's opinion!
No one stopped by to remove my chest tube. Bummer.
The oncologist stopped by briefly about 5:30 pm and clarified my questions about treatment schedules. I thought he told us that there would be one treatment a month for 4 months, but the fact is that there will be a treatment once a week for 16 weeks. Big Bummer. We need to set up an appt a week before treatments begin to sit down the the dr.'s staff and get all the details lined out.
The bright spot of the day was seeing Katie. She spent 4 hours job shadowing food service managers next door at Texas Children's Hospital and then hung out with us the rest of the day and into the evening. Les and Suzanne Kurth also came by for a visit on their way to a movie date. Kevin called in and said he and his Assist group were going to spend 2 hours playing BINGO at a nursing home in Bryan. I hope he didn't get run over by a resident in a wheel chair while fighting over a good card!
Well, I've been up for 2 hours now and have walked, had vitals taken, passed (I certainly hope) an EKG test and had my morning picture taken. I think I'll try and grab a nap before breakfast is served in the fine dining section at 8 am.
Have a great Saturday out there! Rhonda
Wow, I think you accomplish more before breakfast than I do all day. My sister and I are going to garage sales this morning to look for that one item that we can take to Antiques Road Show one day and become famously wealthy. Wish me luck.
ReplyDeleteRhonda,
ReplyDeleteI think you missed your calling in life or else you have a new career ahead of you--that of a writer!! Checking in on you so I can pray about the specifics of the day have not only informed but have been so entertaining. It's as though I am reading a novel and cannot wait to get to the next chapter. I'm sure that God is smiling on this journey with you seeing how you are trusting Him completely and encouraging even your prayer warriors as we see God working healing in your life. Your walk around the halls may be slow right now, but your sense of humor is running fast!! Keep it up and soon you will be back in charge in LJ! We are waiting on you!
Gentle hug,
Phyllis D.
Tell them that if they aren't going to let you out, the least they could do is let you redecorate your room. Paint it a better color, some new curtains, area rug, sleeper sofa for David, end tables, lamps, you know - the whole nine yards. Tell them you are hooked up to too many gizmos to do the painting and furniture moving but you are sure there must be a maintenance guy or two hanging around that are looking for something to do. Maybe they will allow you to reorganize the med room and/or cart for them that will make them more efficient. There is probably a supply closet that could use the same treatment. I'm sure their nurse's station gets out of hand. You could reorganize that for them also. There are probably tons of paperwork that they don't even need that could go in the trash.
ReplyDeleteThere has to be endless possiblities here to keep you occupied. Just ask yourself "What would Martha do?"
We are keeping almost the same sleep schedule. I've got a case of jet lag working--- my days and nights are mixed up. However, I'm lazy and just sit in the chair. I should be out walking like you. Hope they let you rest some this weekend. Susan
ReplyDeleteWalking laps at 3:45 a.m.! That has to be a first! Around 9 a.m. I was still drinking coffee and trying to get organized for the day! You put me to shame!! Ditto on what Phyllis said above. You could be a standup comedian!! Looking forward to you being home REAL soon!
ReplyDeleteSharon :-)