I appreciate Katie looking out for me yesterday, but I'm much better today and declaring the ban lifted. I slept extra amounts yesterday and waited on my pain medicine to play catch up. I even found myself thinking "on a scale of 1-10, how would you describe your pain?" Scary.
I received this cool gift from my friend Suzanne Ingram. She brought me a 12-pack of bottled water, still in the plastic wrapping, but with labels made just for me. The labels have Bible verses and quotes from famous people that have really spoken to me when I've pulled one out to drink it. I finally remembered to call and ask her where she got them and she told me she made them herself! I realize I'm living in my own little world at school, but I've obviously missed the newest "thing". Suzanne cut an opening in the top of the plastic wrap, took out the bottles and peeled off the labels. Next she used scrapbooking paper and printed the verses and quotes on them, cut them apart and taped them back on the bottles. How clever is that?? She told me several of you out there have been doing them for wedding showers and other events, which I obviously have missed lately, and I think you're all very smart. Martha Stewart would be proud. Wait - did you get the idea from her?
The reason I thought to share about the water bottles is because just this morning I was whining to David about lack of activity and other whine-worthy things. When I went to get a bottle a little while ago it had a quote on it from Oswald Chambers that says, "To wait upon God is the perfection of activity." That pretty much puts me in my place for the rest of the day! Thanks again, Suzanne, for such a thoughtful gift. I know it took time to find the verses and quotes and I appreciate it tremendously.
iPod Question:
How do I get all my favorite music off these cassette tapes and onto my iPod? WELL??? Don't be telling me I have to download them from iTunes because I've already paid for this music once. It's true it was probably 20 years ago in some cases, but still - I'm cheap! It was traumatic enough when I gave up my 8 track cassettes I had in college. We're talking Jim Croce, Carole King, Beach Boys, Beatles, The Eagles, Chicago. GOOD STUFF. This is a classic case of old school meets technology. Bummer.
Everyone enjoy the fact that it's Friday!
Rhonda
The only way I know to get that music would be to get it onto a CD and then put that in the computer and then you can get it off the computer into your iPod. Now, how do you get music off a cassette tape onto a CD? I have no idea.
ReplyDeleteYou may just have to buy your favorites again. don't you think you've gotten your money's worth out of those tapes by now?
I know, I know. But it brings up the question of WHY don't computers have a slot for cassettes. Answer me that, all techno people!
ReplyDeleteOh dear! I'm with Margaret - you have probably gotten your money's worth out of those tapes. Besides they probably sound like they are well used. You can buy a USB cassette deck that will hook straight into your computer (I think - I know they have turntables) so you can transfer them that way. There is also a unit that is a turntable, cassette deck, CD burner that will do the same. The catch is that they are very pricey. I think the turntable, cd thing is around $200 or $250 last time I looked. They may have come down in price since then because it's been awhile. I decided it was cheaper to go to www.yourmusic.com and buy a lot of older CDs for $7.49 each. It is a subscription so you put CDs in your queue to be shipped to you automatically each month. It has also given me the opportunity to purchase CDs of artists that I didn't appreciate "back when" or that I didn't have the money to get then. The good thing about iTunes is that they are extremely small files and you can put a ton on your iPod. I have an older 2gb nano and I can get 250-300 songs on it depending on where they came from. If I rip a CD the files are not as small but better than trying to import it from Windows media player. I also discovered (because of my logical son) that I didn't have to rip everything on the highest quality setting since I was just going to listen to it through tiny earbuds or on a cheap car sound system. (Higher quality sound = larger file size.) Anyway my recommendation is to ditch the cassettes and download it from iTunes. You only have to purchase the songs you want not the whole album. You can burn them onto a CD from iTunes if you really want to.
ReplyDeleteAnyway - food for thought.
I'm sure glad you are getting to figure all of this out. Maybe I'll get into this century and buy an ipod one day and you can tell me how to do all this fancy stuff! Glad you feel better. Today we are all getting to stay in and veg with you. Be glad to see the sun shine again!
ReplyDeleteCathy
I saw the vague references on FB to seeing your doctor and then having surgery. My radar didn't go "red" until weekend when some event triggered it.
ReplyDeleteWe love you and are praying for you, David, and family. Really!
If a last minute or emergency need comes up, like needing a driver, please call me (297-0352/236-8244).
Russell