The Facts - Cancer Free!

Diagnosis: One quarter-size malignant tumor
Location: Lower lobe of left lung
Treatment: Surgery & Chemotherapy - Successful!
Prognosis: Excellent
Chance of Recurrence: Small
In case you haven't heard, Rhonda has been declared cancer free by her oncologist!!!

Thank you to all the friends and family who have expressed their concern, support, and encouragement. Praise the Lord that Rhonda's tumor was found early. The process of diagnosis and planning treatment went quickly in March, and recovery from surgery progressed smoothly across April. The four months of chemotherapy ended in mid-September. Now, on to recovery from the chemo. The doctor says it may take up to six months for Rhonda to regain her physical strength, so please keep praying!

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Wednesday - April Fool's Day!

I assure you it wasn't planned, but I'm glad I missed being surrounded by students on April Fool's Day. Let me know if anything good happened!

Today has been a pretty good day. Here at the Hearne Hideaway we believe in the open door policy and people kept it fanning all morning. You would think people were trying to work around here.

The surgical nurse came in and took out one of my chest tubes, so I'm half way home. Praise God! It's amazing what a difference it makes in the pain level and I can get around by myself much better. The doctor started me on steroids to reduce any irritation that might be contributing to the drainage, so hopefully the other tube will go soon as well. For those of you who are visual learners let me share how the doctor explained the tube removal process: "Do you know how to crank a lawn mower?"
Enough said.

The pain management PA came in and we made changes in my medications. I don't do well on narcotics, which is such a shame, and it has been a challenge to find just the right combination. I think this time we've done a better job and the removal of the tube made a huge difference. Another Praise the Lord! I really appreciate the attitude of the doctors and staff - they let you be involved in the decision making process and you feel more in control of your circumstances.

I also had a visit from my clinical dietician. It seems my blood work indicates I'm not getting enough protein. That probably is a direct result from the fact that the taste of meat is completely unappealing. Everyone knows I enjoy food and have found very few that I didn't like (see reference at the side!) but I have no appetite whatsoever. I'm eating but I'm being a picky eater. I've watched Gabe Dawson in the cooking lab the past few months and used him as a guide (Love ya Gabe!).

The most amazing story I have is about my night nurse, Dorcas. In Acts 9:36-39 it tells the story of Dorcas, also known at Tabitha. It states in verse 36 that "she was abounding in deeds of kindness and charity which she did continously". Late last night I was having trouble finding a position to sleep in for more than 10 minutes. Dorcas and I discussed my options, decided to contact pain mgt again and do the best I could until morning. Suddenly she asked "Can I pray with you?" Without waiting for an answer, without asking if I was a Christian, without worrying that it might OFFEND someone she took my hand in both of hers and prayed down the stars. This small Nigerian women prayed the most amazing, heartfelt prayer of healing and peace. She evoked the power of the cross, the love of Jesus, and appealed to God the Great Physician on my behalf. It brought tears to my eyes and peace to my heart. What a blessing sent from God in the middle of a dark, long night. Her prayer reminded me of all the prayers being spoken on my behalf and also reminded me that scripture says Jesus intercedes for us to the Father when we don't know how to pray for ourselves. Words cannot express how grateful I am to have so many people standing in the gap for me during this time when I can't do it myself. Read the story of Dorcas in Acts and see how God rewarded her faithfulness. I know my Dorcas will have many rewards in Heaven for the deeds of kindness and charity she performs every day without hesitation.

Okay, wipe away the tears and lets go on with the observations. I think I'm going to end up with more than 10 since I can't seem to bust out of this place.

#10 - My Big Girl (BG) panties seem to be made out of camo fabric because I can't seem to get a handle on them. But now I know what I'm looking for and plan to ferret them out.

#11 - a surgical floor is the only place where the passing of gas is celebrated like the birth of a child. Not just any child, a first born child!

Love to everyone, Rhonda

6 comments:

  1. You are our new "hero" sister. Susan assures me you will be back before we can blink you are doing so well.She even said you looked fantastic( did she lie-ha). Your humor will see you through and you are a real trooper. God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee we miss you at school!!! Your insights are the best. I may need some pain management from laughing so hard at your observations.
    Your Dorcas seems to have been the best gift God could have given you at this time along with your awesome family. He truly does take care of us when we are in need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you know there would be tears in my eyes after reading the dorcas paragraph? Are you spying on me?
    What a wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad God sent you an angel to minister to you through that long night. Praise God she did not worry about offending you. Tell anyone who hurts you I will feed them to Mike the Tiger (at LSU) I think he could eat ANYONE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joanna the "almost-surgeon"April 2, 2009 at 4:24 PM

    Yes, the passing of gas by one of my patients has many times been the most exciting thing that will happen to me on a 14 hour shift. Now that I've typed that, I realize how sad we little surgery folk are :)
    Heal well, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know that you know that many of us are praying for you, but how wonderful of God to send you someone to do it in the flesh when you really needed it.
    Praying from Lumberton,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave an encouraging comment for Rhonda. Thanks for your support!