The Facts - Cancer Free!

Diagnosis: One quarter-size malignant tumor
Location: Lower lobe of left lung
Treatment: Surgery & Chemotherapy - Successful!
Prognosis: Excellent
Chance of Recurrence: Small
In case you haven't heard, Rhonda has been declared cancer free by her oncologist!!!

Thank you to all the friends and family who have expressed their concern, support, and encouragement. Praise the Lord that Rhonda's tumor was found early. The process of diagnosis and planning treatment went quickly in March, and recovery from surgery progressed smoothly across April. The four months of chemotherapy ended in mid-September. Now, on to recovery from the chemo. The doctor says it may take up to six months for Rhonda to regain her physical strength, so please keep praying!

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Human Bulletin Board

I've changed many bulletin boards in my time, but today I experienced it from the "other side" so to speak.  The surgeon removed my 17 staples today and it made me think of all those times I've yanked staples out of a bulletin board.  Fortunately for me, he was kinder and slower than I usually am and he didn't throw any on the floor!  The incision is still tender but at least I can stop worrying about meeting powerful magnets in a dark alley.  I was REALLY disappointed when he told me I still can't drive for another three weeks.  It's not that I have a burning desire to hop in the car and start a road trip - it's just the act of being told I can't do it.  You know, like a three-year-old or something.  So, come on by - I'll still be here.

I was really surprised by my reaction to going back into St. Luke's today.  The outpatient clinic for the Texas Heart Institute is right inside the main lobby of the hospital.  We were running close on time so David dropped me off and I zipped into the clinic without really pausing to look around.  After we had been there a while a nurse came out and said the doctor was running late from surgery and that it would be at least 30 more minutes before he arrived.  We got up, walked out into the hospital and headed down the hall to get something to drink.   That's when the bad mojo hit!  I felt like the walls were closing in on me, my heart started to race and I had this huge urge to burst into tears.  It seems I have a little deep-seated anxiety left over from the Hearne Hawaiian Hideaway.  I think a trip to the REAL Hawaiian Islands would exorcise those ghosts and, NO, Surfside beach cannot be used as a substitute!  

In my continuing saga to become Techno Mom I bought an iPod Nano today.  I think it will come in handy during chemo treatments and it's a really cool, Hawaiian ocean blue.  (notice the theme?)  Perhaps the success of blogging and programming my new phone has gone to my head, but I think I can master the iPod as well.  If not, Katie will be home this weekend.  :)

Continuing to need patience,
Rhonda

6 comments:

  1. I always knew you were a techno-geek at heart. Glad things are going in the right direction for you although maybe not as quickly as you would like. Hang in there - we are trying to have patience with you.
    Love and prayers, Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy the iPod. I got one at Christmas and I enjoyed it immensely when I was doing all the painting. It just made the task less monotonous. Of course I still have to get a lesson from Meredith from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I listen to my ipod when I'm on long flights. It sure helps to pass the time. I think you'll enjoy it. I also think you'd enjoy it on a long flight to HAWAII. Tell David our plan. :) Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure you will like your iPod. I am very impressed with all your "techie" success! You may have a technology career in your future. hehe

    Praying for patience and pain to go AWAY!

    Sharon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you got the staples out; may be tender for a few days so be kind to yourself. Glad you are learning so much technolog so I know who I can come to when I finally give up and get more toys! Hawaii sounds like a splendid idea!..Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I can book that trip to Hawaii for you. :) I'm laughing picturing you sitting outside reading with worms dropping out of the trees. Were they those "devil worms" AKA asps? I'm praying for you.
    Sallie

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave an encouraging comment for Rhonda. Thanks for your support!